Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Replacing the Seat

It was a long week end. Between the snow and freezing temperatures, hockey games and rehearsals, there was more than a few tasks around the house that needed attention.


Repair the Garage Door again or replace the toilet seat in the first floor powder room. Wanting to start out on a small project and be successful, I went for the bathroom project. How long could it take? Ten minutes max, which included time to wash up.

As I started the project on Sunday at 8:30 AM, I realized this was not going to be easy. The plastic lock washers were frozen to the metal bolts that held the seat on the porcelain.

WD 40, Lock Ease, Brake Clean, Navel Jelly - the solvents you normally use to free up these types of thing did not work. Another trip to the basement for more tools. Bolt cutters, hack saws, screw drivers, vice grips, crescent wrenches, socket sets, and more rags. This was turning out to be a bad deal. I got frustrated as a ten minute task had gone on for an hour. On my way up the stairs, I left my good manners in the basement. I was getting angry with life.

The first lock washer took another hour to cut off the bolt. It wasn't funny anymore. I realized that the entire toilet would have to come off the floor in order to gain access to the other lock washer. By 11:30 AM, the toilet was off the floor and the wax ring was in the garbage. It was time to leave for the hockey game. I had to apologize to Sue and the kids for my bad temper on the way up to the Winter Club.

It may be a funny story today , but I was not happy at all that day. The project was finished at 8:30 PM when I returned from Home Depot with a replacement handle that I had broken earlier in the day.


Monday, I received an e-mail at work called Weekly Wisdom. The quote was appropriate for the weekend. I want to share it with you:

I can't give away what I don't have: If I can't love others, it's because I don't know that God loves me. In hindsight, I let the frustration of my day get in the way of my knowledge that God really does love me.

True love can come only from God, for he is the only source of unconditional love. As followers in Christ, we are to allow God's love to flow through us to the world.

A new command I give you, Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)

May your week be full of wisdom and love.

Peace

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment